My wife just recently asked her community of wives to tag their husbands in a facebook comment and write one reason why she respected him. I noticed that there were over 160 comments from wives all over the world, so I thought I would take a look at what they had to say about their men.
Admittedly, I have a very cynical side to me and often try and find the negative in people. (I have to repent often for this.) But as I read through the comments looking for the nasty and belittling comments like “my husband doesn’t deserve respect” or “he hasn’t earned it yet” or “I lost respect for him long ago”, instead I was blown away by all the beautiful heartfelt words used in regards to the deep respect these women have for their husbands. Not only did it convict me again of my cynicism, It also made me want what these husbands had.
These husbands don’t have to demand respect or manipulate scripture to get it. They have the respect of their wives simply because they are respectable husbands. In light of this I thought it would be beneficial to share with you the reason these husbands got a public recognition of respect from their wives.
Here are 40 reason why these husbands are respected by their wives.
Maybe we can glean some insight and adopt some of these characteristics.
- He carries the responsibilities in our daily life
- He sacrifices so much to make our lives work
- He supports our family
- He is hard working
- He is God fearing
- He is selfless
- He neglects himself and his needs to ensure I am ok
- He is trustworthy
- He has self control
- he helps anyone in need
- He Protects me and our family
- He helps me see the good in everything
- He makes his relationship with God priority
- He is a role model to our kids
- He shows the boys how to be Godly men
- He stands for what he believes in
- His Christ-likeness
- He does the right thing even when it’s not the popular thing
- He goes above and beyond what is expected of him
- He loves me for who I am and helps me be a better person
- His commitment to our family
- He loves me unconditionally
- He defends our marriage to his family
- He treats me with a kind and patient heart
- He loves God more than he loves me.
- He is always following his call
- He is driven
- He has goals and ambitions
- He stayed by my side when no one else would
- He makes the choice for our family to go to church
- He is a true man of a God
- He has integrity
- He is a great leader to our family
- He works hard to support us and I have never once heard Him complain about going to work
- His giving attitude
- He spends quality time with our kids
- He is patient
- He is a man of his word
- He is always in His Bible learning about God
- He is not afraid of admitting his mistakes and changing his life according to God’s Plan
This is a pretty impressive list. I know I fail at most of these on any given day but by God’s grace I will strive to be this kind of man for my wife and kids.
What do you think of this list?
Is it missing anything thing?
Below is the actual post on facebook.